In tonight’s counseling session, one of my beautiful couples spoke about an experience they shared. When I asked R what he needed, he struggled a bit and his courageous wife finally said, “You’d like for me to complain less.” While it was not quite what he was asking, it was a welcome offering. The idea of positivity came up. How can you find the positivity in all things? Or at least in MOST things?
If I’m smart, I take a moment of reflection at the end of my counseling sessions. Usually I can take one lesson for myself. This time the idea of complaining less and finding positivity was indeed my personal take-away. And then I realized that I never wrote my weekly lists! I thought I would post them on Tuesday. A proper Gratituesday on Christmas Day. But my day was filled with movies and I let it go. I did start them yesterday in order to satisfy Desire Wednesday, but I had to run out and meet my friend, Kate and her family visiting from Atlanta and when I got home I crashed. So, now I’m “stuck” with Celebration Thursday. Shit.
The celebrations are always the hardest for me. I can easily find things I desire, and coming up with things I’m grateful for is pretty easy. However after a challenging year, there’s not a ton to celebrate. Or at least the desires outweigh every time. So here I go, embracing the positivity and sharing my celebrations, no matter how small. Let’s do this…
1. 5 days of Spanish lessons this week
2. Rocking my inner New Yorker and being bold
3. Jumping back on the yoga mat yesterday
4. Getting health insurance for the first time in NINE years
5. Officiating an impressive number of weddings this year
1. A return to a regular yoga practice
2. Getting a closing date for my apartment
3. A clean kitchen sink for a WEEK
4. For Maxie to stop throwing up in the middle of the night
5. To find more ways to be plastic-free
1. Hot coffee
2. An unlimited MetroCard (through yesterday!)
3. Having and using my portable phone charger
4. Ways to stream TV shows
And that’s it, folks. I got through the avoidance and the complaining and found some interesting CELEBRATIONS. How ’bout you embrace your own positivity and join me! I dare you.