Today in my 15-minute meditation class, I spoke about the idea that we don’t have control over much. Sometimes we need to focus on the Power of Detachment. In both our professional and personal lives, we are largely reactionary. But what happens if we detach for just a moment? We may not have control of the people around us or the situations were in, but we ALWAYS have control over our breath and our body. Can we at least be PROACTIVE here? Let the overwhelm and craziness melt away, so we can take care of what we CAN control? Be mindful of our breath and thoughts, our bodies and our imagination? It’s totally possible.
We put a hand on our heart and a hand on our belly and evened out the breath inhaling for 5 counts, holding for 2 and exhaling for 5 counts. With attention on counting and lengthening the breath, the mind cannot wander and our thoughts are forced inward. The Power of Detachment. We’re able to focus, release the clutter and start the day with ease, or in the case of today, start again!
1. To catch up on sleep
2. To secure a contractor this week
3. To have a clean kitchen sink
4. To not sweat the small stuff
5. To book two weddings or counseling couples this week
1. Four days of Spanish lessons this week
2. Taking a knitting class and taking time to work on a scarf with yarn I bought EIGHT years ago!
3. Good hair days
4. Finishing my book
5. Having a light in the fridge again (I know the little things!)
1. Coffee & wine
2. My hat, scarf & gloves
3. Time with friends this week – especially the Jenny & Jenn
4. Lots of catering this week
5. Having access to a printer, scanner & shredder at Primary
Okay folks, that’s it. Here’s to finding the power of detachment as you reflect on your own Desires, Celebrations & Gratitudes. And more importantly, here’s to a fulfilling week!