Yesterday I hosted my annual New Year’s Day Open House. After we were all full of black-eyed peas, corn bread, salmon croquettes & collard greens, I offered everyone a reading from The Moon Deck. There are a number of “spread” options and surprisingly enough, everyone chose (or asked me to choose) a different one. It gave me a better opportunity to play with the cards and be more helpful with interpretation. There were a lot of ‘a-ha’ moments during each reading and I hope the cards selected will lead to some new adventures and rituals.
Today I finally had the chance to choose my own spread and ask about the year to come and select my card. I had to laugh when I pulled “I allow STILLNESS to heal and reveal.” I regularly write posts on productivity and proactivity! Even today, I texted a friend encouragingly, “Go, go, go!” But I’m being told to find STILLNESS??!!! You’ve got to be kidding me!
But as I reflected on Stillness, I realized that it’s not inactivity. There’s tons of action in the body and the mind that happens when you’re still. In yoga, when you’re holding a pose, there is tons of minute movement. In the breath, and as you find release and lengthening. So, as I look at my trajectory for the year, I need to find the movement in the stillness. And that will take time and practice and patience. But the card is very much about HEALING, as well. And that’s helpful, too!
The last 2 lines in the guidebook are the ones that truly motivate me: “A radiant woman is emerging from the depths of the earth, having lived a life full of many textures and teaching. You’re powerful beyond measure and must participate in your own healing.” So, let’s find stillness and healing together! In the meantime, here are my Weekly Lists. Feel free to add your own!
1. To awake more refreshed in the morning
2. Five inquiries this week – a mix of wedding and counseling would be nice!
3. 4 days of yoga in the next 7 days – starting TODAY!
4. To be more proactive. No more sitting back.
5. To get my first round of publisher inquiries out re: my book on PM Counseling
1. Cleaning my desk and my kitchen counter. I have a way to go, but it’s a start!
2. Having a confirmed closing date for my apartment
3. Hosting a lovely New Year’s Day brunch with great friends, and good food and a nice bottle of Champagne!
4. Being a tourist in my own city! Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 Museum, Dumbo, Chinatown & Little Italy!
5. A clean kitchen sink!
1. Lynsey Woodruff, one of my past brides who found me at my co-working space and gifted me with The Moon Deck!
2. My long time friendship with Kate Wiley and a lovely visit with her family this passed week
3. A weekly compost collection right by my subway stop
4. Hot coffee
5. My essential oils – especially the lavender & peppermint roller I keep by my bed!
Okay folks, that’s it! Now I turn to you. Feel free to post a few of your own Desires, Celebrations & Gratitudes. Or reach out for a Moon Deck reading. Here’s to a fulfilling year!