For those of you who may not have been able to read through the cryptic notes and comments over the past few weeks, I am a homeowner again. The process that I experienced in buying an apartment Atlanta versus New York was amazingly different. So while everything was difficult in NY, I am currently trying to discover the good. That also goes for the renovation.
My condo in Atlanta was fairly new and was move-in ready. I decided to update the bathroom a year and a half in, but it was for cosmetic reasons. With my current co-op, it’s a necessity. I’ve owned the place for almost a month and it feels like I haven’t moved forward. In fact on Sunday, I actually had a major freak-out and finally admitted that I was struggling. But yesterday I met a new flooring guy and he offered me some new possibilities. We stripped back the old and dirty carpeting in the bedroom and there were these old blue tiles. Once we lifted those we saw the beautiful original pine floors. Was it perfect in all places? No. But it was a shining light of possibility. I continue to discover the good.
So, while I could spend time complaining and wallowing in all the shit – and there’s a ton of that – there are a ton of positives in terms of homeownership in New York City, of the diligence I had in savings, and the fact that I am set up to live rather cheaply in an expensive city. It’s not only good, it’s freakin’ remarkable. Surprisingly enough it was much easier to complete the gratitudes and celebrations, struggling a bit with the desires. So without further ado, here they are!
1. The gorgeous day we had in NYC today
2. My friendship and working relationship with Jenny
3. The support of my parents – even though they continue to frustrate and infuriate me
4. The advice from my friend Carlos
5. Catering leftovers
1. Booking 2 weddings and 2 counseling couples this week
2. Discovering beautiful hardwood floors under the linoleum and carpeting in my new apartment
3. Cleaning the stove top
4. Starting to write Chapter 3 of my book
5. Beginning to rebuild my savings
1. Securing a contractors
2. The quick healing of my pulled back muscle
3. To remember to bring my external charger with me on long days out
4. Drinking more water
5. Creating a stronger friend circle
Okay folks, that’s it. Here’s to discovering your own good and having a truly fulfilling week.