In my grad school thesis, I talked about laughter being like running water. You can allow it to flow, just as you can add things to censor and stop it from pouring out. Or perhaps it’s more like riding the wave. There is something completely joyous and cathartic about laughing, but sometimes it’s not appropriate or sometimes it’s uncomfortable, so we consciously or unconsciously restrict and shut it down. Or fall off.
I have been riding the wave in many ways lately. And it’s been a balance about what I can control and what I can’t. I am not a fan of waiting for things to happen. I mean there must be things I can do to move forward. However, I had an interesting conversation with a friend of one of my wedding couples on Monday about surrendering to the circumstances around us. Sure, we may have the skills, but there are so many outside forces can affect where we go or what we do. While, that may be true, I just can’t sit and wait, I need to actually DO something, whether I want to or not.
So what can we do? We can keep ourselves moving in the direction we want to go, but we may need to release tension in the body and the mind to be able to accept change and to keep riding the wave!
Without further ado, here are my Weekly Lists. A bit of positivity and negativity to ground myself in the present and easily move forward. Let’s go!
1. An updated architectural drawing TODAY
2. A fully clean kitchen
3. To drink more water
4. To stop complaining
5. To finish my blog post AND send out a newsletter this week
1. My parents
2. Colleagues who exude positivity
3. Being able to sleep later in the morning
4. Coffee & wine
5. My umbrella – it’s been super rainy lately
1. Booking 2 new counseling couples this week
2. Social time with friends
3. Recording a great podcast with Jimmy Allen of Crazy Juicy Love!
4. Another win in Housing Court (for now!)
5. The completion of demolition in my new apartment
Okay folks, that’s it. Super easy. Now’s your turn. Feel free to comment, questions or add your own lists below. Here’s to a fulfilling week!