Last month was Plastic-free July. I have abstained from lots of things that I could not easily or cheaply find NOT wrapped in plastic. So if I wanted a it, I had to make it! So I’ve made hair gel using flax seeds, toothpaste using coconut oil and baking powder and today I made flour tortillas. Are they perfect? Heck, no. But they’ll do and I make it myself! Not only that they are not full of ingredients I don’t know, but it’s friendlier to the environment.
My friend Angela gave me a cheese making kit earlier this year. I was thrilled at the gift, but I’ve yet to use it. I tried to make yogurt last year and failed miserably, so I’m a little nervous to try cheese. So on August 3rd, I fell hard and I bought mozzarella and parmesan cheese from the grocery store. Both were wrapped in plastic. Did I feel a little guilty? Um, yeah. But it’s been so long since I cooked with cheese, that the excitement overshadowed the guilt.
All in all, #plasticfreejuly was a personal success. I know that I am much more observant than most of my friends or family, however, there are many that are stricter than me. Thanks to those folks, I can get ideas and recipes so I can make things myself. But I also need to forgive myself if I falter in our convenience-filled world. Tuesday is usually a huge day of reflection. But today, it also included TACOS – homemade, from scratch! Without further ado, here are my weekly lists!
1. Coffee and rosé
2. Inexpensive hair care options on Salon Apprentice
3. My ability to let go through meditation
4. The ability to watch TV shows on my computer
5. The support of my contractor
1. A bit of self-care today
2. Making homemake tortillas & coleslaw for Taco Tuesday!
3. Booking a new wedding and a new counseling couple this week
4. Maxie has let me sleep through the night, and has not pooped on the bed in three days!
5. A mostly clean kitchen sink
1. To drink more water
2. To live in a clean & bug-free home
3. To get the new architect on-board easily and cheaply
4. Jumping back into daily Spanish lessons on Duolingo
5. A stronger friend circle
Okay folks, that’s it. Time to question, comment or share your own lists below. And of course, if you’ve made something yourself, let everyone know! Here’s to reusing, reducing & recycling – and to having a fulfilling week!