As we isolate at home, we’re doing our best to stay connected. However, we’re forgetting to embrace calm. We’re searching for answers, but it’s hard to distinguish fact from fiction. We’re trying to work, and stay informed, but it’s largely overwhelming. That’s when we HAVE TO embrace calm.
Our current situation is scary. I keep saying that things are temporary and we will get through this. However, in many cases, we are not going back to where we left off. “Back there” may not be there anymore in 14-28 days. For me, there’s a good chance my catering work will be there. And my weddings will certainly postpone. But others may not have jobs to come back to. If folks are struggling to pay rent or buy food NOW, that will only be more challenging as time goes by. I don’t want to even tackle the number of dead, and how that may affect me or those I know. For now, I must find the calm and embrace it tight.
Only then we can be present and not freak out about what’s to come. So, let’s be proactive and smart. But take the time to close our eyes, breathe deeply, keep things in perspective and embrace the calm.
From calmness comes reflection. And from reflection comes gratitude. Join me, won’t you?
1. My cooking ability
2. A dishwasher and laundry in my apartment!
3. My health – save for an intermittent scratchy throat and stress headache
4. Open windows
5. A good internet connection
1. Teaching yoga and meditation online regularly – now Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday to be exact
2. Not being afraid to reach out to all of my couples, knowing that I may not be able to serve them when they postpone their wedding
3. Finally hanging all of my larger pieces of art on the wall!
4. Reading a new novel that I got online from the library
5. Practicing my Spanish on Duolingo for 8 days straight!
1. For the world to continue to be defensive (um, STAY HOME) about this pandemic, but for the US and NY to also add an offensive plan.
2. To be able to get out and take a walk – and go to the grocery store & drug store (but in the meantime, I placed an Instacart order)
3. To write and post another article this week
4. To update my website
5. To make sure all of my belongings have a home – and then leave the house, if they do not